6 hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in Fairfield

Six family members were hospitalized after emergency responders found them violently ill with carbon monoxide poisoning at their Fairfield home.

George Gomola, Fairfield's assistant fire chief, says the carbon monoxide levels inside the home were off the charts. The family had been running a generator in their basement for six hours after their power went out, and the house filled with fumes.

Officials stress that homeowners need to practice safety when running a generator at home, and that because it produces carbon monoxide, it needs to be placed outside the home.

The victims were put on pure oxygen, and a 13-year-old boy is still undergoing treatment in a hyperbaric chamber at Norwalk Hospital.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."