State investigators release new report on fatal Bridgeport fire

State investigators have released a report today saying that the house fire that killed two Bridgeport firefighters last year was started by a burning candle. Connecticut Fire Marshal Sgt. Christopher Guari says the candle set several items ablaze before engulfing parts of the Elmwood Avenue home. According to the report, Lt. Steven Velasquez and firefighter Michel Baik died of smoke inhalation. Previous reports said the victims' air tanks ran out of oxygen. Police say no criminal charges will be filed against the homeowner.

Bridgeport to contest 1 of 5 fire violationsBridgeport Fire Dept. facing safety-violation chargesFundraising effort under way for fallen firefightersHundreds turn out for Bridgeport firefighter's wakeFirefighter remembered in Trumbull2 Bridgeport firefighters die, 5 injured after battling house fire

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."