Massive fire destroys Milford strip mall

Officials say that lit smoking material accidently placed in a waste basket ignited the massive fire that destroyed a Milford strip mall last night.

According to firefighters, flames broke out at around 8 p.m. inside the tobacco store Convenience Junction on Boston Post Road. They say that because the buildings were made of wood, the fire spread quickly, engulfing three other businesses and a vacant store.

Fire crews from surrounding towns and cities had to be called in to help battle the flames.

Officials say that some of the business owners have already contacted the state Department of Emergency Management to apply for loans and get their shops running again.

Milford firefighters battle massive strip mall fire

VIDEO: Milford strip mall fire

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."