Wilton firefighters burn off propane gas to contain leak
Wilton firefighters and crews continue to fix a propane gas leak that started early this morning at the Avalon complex on River Road.
Firefighters say they are intentionally burning off the propane gas and that it could take days.
Officials say because of a cap that wasn't connected correctly to the gas tank, it would be more dangerous to pump the tank. The tank holds 1,850 gallons of gas.
Firefighters are also using water to decrease the temperature of the vapors in the air. Without water, they say the temperature of the vapors is more than 100 degrees.
Fire officials have advised residents to stay back from the scene and close their doors and windows.
VIDEO: Wilton propane leak