Electrical fire breaks out at Brien McMahon High School

There were some frightening moments at Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk this morning as officials say two students got stuck in an elevator when the building was evacuated due to an electrical fire.

The trapped students, who were rescued within minutes, were able to text their friends to notify them that they were stuck in the elevator.

Fire officials say the school had an initial power outage this morning due to a squirrel that tripped a circuit breaker.

However, two motors burned out on the roof of the school and one motor burned out in a classroom when the school?s backup generators kicked in during the initial outage, causing smoke and a subsequent electrical fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."