Emergency officials warn about the dangers of generators

Local emergency officials are warning the public about the dangers of using generators after a woman in Bloomfield died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from using the device.

Experts estimate that 100 people die nationwide each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Reports say that 135 people in Connecticut alone have been poisoned from carbon monoxide since the storm.

Officials say if you do decide to invest in a generator, you should also make sure to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

Experts say to make sure to set up generators outside and away from vents.

If possible, have a licensed electrician hook it up and also use low-gage wires.

Carbon monoxide is very hard to detect, since it is colorless, odorless and tasteless, so if you feel dizzy or nauseous and are in the area of a generator, you should seek medical help immediately. Firefighters warn of danger from generators

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."