Fire dept. issues warning after e-cig explodes in man's mouth

The Stratford Fire Department is issuing a warning to people who vape or use e-cigarettes.



The warning comes after an e-cigarette exploded in one man's mouth, knocking out two of his teeth and cracking two others a few weeks ago.



"Right in his mouth," says Lt. Robert Daniel. "Some of the witnesses stated it sounded like an M-80 going off."



Newer e-cigarettes are called "regulated mods" and include short-circuit protection, something the victim's setup did not have.



Fire officials say that victim is doing OK.



Workers at smoke shops say they want to stress that vaping is perfectly safe if done correctly.



They say regulated mods are more expensive, but they can prevent an explosion like the one that occurred in Stratford.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."