Stamford fire officials warn of carbon monoxide dangers

Fire officials are warning residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide following a scare in Stamford.



The warning comes after firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide leak inside a woman's home Thursday morning on Joffre Avenue. The woman called for help after feeling ill, and firefighters discovered a leak in her basement. She's expected to be OK.



Firefighters who responded to that call from the Belltown Fire Department say they have received two CO calls in less than a week -- twice as many as all of last winter.



They encourage the use of meters to make sure readings are not too high over zero, which can be extremely dangerous. They add that it's important to make sure that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are less than 10 years old.



Assistant Chief Nick Didelot says that because carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, other precautions should be taken. He says it's important to properly vent your home, especially this time of year when heating equipment is constantly running.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."