Community comes together after fire destroys family's home

A community is coming together to help a Norwalk family left homeless by a fire.



The flames broke out Friday evening on High Street. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames, but the damage was already done. The first floor was completely gutted and there was significant heat and smoke damage to the second floor.



Fire officials have since deemed the residence unsafe for living.



Edna Ornelas-Ubaldo lived in the house for the past three to four years with her mother, three sisters, niece and their dog. They are all OK.



Friends have started a GoFundMe page for the family, and Ornelas-Ubaldo says that support is helping them remain hopeful for the future.



Ornelas-Ubaldo says her family is currently split up and staying with multiple relatives in Bridgeport.



The fire marshal says the cause of the blaze was electrical.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."