Live-in nanny, baby safely escape Norwalk house fire

Firefighters say a live-in nanny and a baby safely escaped a Norwalk house fire last night because of an emergency plan they practice every month.Officials say a live-in nanny was at 8 Rockridge Drive with a baby when she noticed the outdoor patio was engulfed in flames. She and the baby ran to a neighbor's house, safely escaping the fire. Firefighters say it's best to have a plan in place in the event of a worst-case scenario.Authorities believe a cigarette left in an ashtray outside the house caused the fire.Meanwhile, a new state law kicks in on Oct. 1 that will require a smoke detector in every residential property.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."