Congregation shocked after Milford synagogue fire

Congregants at a Milford synagogue are planning for the future after a fire severely damaged their house of worship Sunday. Rabbi Schneur Wilhelm, of the Hebrew Congregation of Woodmont, says he received the call at around 9:30 a.m. He says he rushed to the scene and immediately asked firefighters to retrieve the Torah scrolls. The texts were damp and covered in soot, but were taken out safely. Wilhelm says a ceremony will be held to commemorate other sacred items lost in the blaze. Milford fire officials say they're investigating the fire, but the rabbi says he thinks it was electrical.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."