Bridgeport family displaced after house fire

A Bridgeport family is displaced after a fire tore through their home early Sunday morning.

Officials say the flames broke out at 347 Wilmot Ave.

According to homeowner Bill Kirby, a burning candle in the living room of the first floor caused the fire. He says he woke up when the blanket he was sleeping under caught fire.

No injuries were reported.

Kirby says that most of his possessions were lost, and he and five other family members are now homeless.

The Red Cross is providing the family with temporary shelter.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."