Milford officials spread the word about fireworks safety

The Fourth of July is 10 days away, which means barbecues, beaches and fireworks. 



While parents and children love the beautiful colors lighting up the sky, there was a safety warning from fire officials Friday. 



Safety officials are reminding parents that fireworks are not toys, and that while they may be fun, they are also dangerous.



They say sparklers, which are legal in Connecticut, can get as hot as 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and can cause third-degree burns. 



It's recommended to stay at least 6 feet away from fireworks after they are lit. 



Fire officials also warn that fireworks can tip over or misfire. They say the further away you are, the less likely you will be injured. 



Milford Fire Capt. Greg Carman says kids should never light fireworks and parents should never try to relight fireworks that didn't go off. 



All fireworks should be doused with water once finished. 



It is already a dry season, and the dry grass and leaves can help a fire to quickly spread. 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."