Hazmat crews respond to Stratford chemical spill
Hazmat crews were able to contain a chemical spill at a Stratford business Saturday morning.
Officials say the call came in around 5:30 a.m. for a chemical leak at Bridgeport Fittings, at the intersection of Long Beach and Lordship boulevards.
The company has been making electrical components for the construction industry for more than 50 years.
Some type of industrial fan failed and caused chemical fumes to build up inside the facility.
A Stratford Fire Department deputy chief says the material that spilled is a diluted acid, which can cause chemical burns and could be problematic to inhale.
Officials say though nobody was hurt, there was a major hazmat response. Several surrounding communities provided mutual aid to make sure that there were no serious effects from the potentially deadly fumes.
Officials say it took them several hours to neutralize the chemicals on the interior of the building.
The incident triggered an evacuation in the area, News 12 is told.
Employees arriving to work in the morning were kept outside as authorities got the issue under control.
Longtime employee Tom Einig says Bridgeport Fittings has a long record of putting safety first.
"We have safety engineers that go through the shop and reevaluate everything," says Einig.