Fire causes serious damage to Bridgeport home

An electrical fire caused serious damage to a Bridgeport home Thursday at around 11 p.m., according to fire officials.

One woman was inside the Raleigh Road home when the flames broke out. She escaped unharmed. Fire officials say two dozen firefighters took about 40 minutes to get the flames under control.

"It was pretty much trapped in there for a while, it was tough to get at," says Bridgeport Assistant Fire Chief Christopher Martin.

"The damage was extensive. [There's] damage to the second floor and a lot of water damage on the first floor," says Martin.

According to investigators, the fire started in the wiring behind a wall in a second floor bedroom or in the attic.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."