Child saves neighbors from Bridgeport fire

Flames tore through a Bridgeport home Monday night, but everyone was able to get out thanks in part to a 6-year-old girl. Officials say the fire broke out on the third floor of 375-377 Grand St. The 6-year-old, Tanea Coombes, lives on the first floor with her mom and two siblings. Due to recent fire drill training at school, Coombes knew exactly what to do when the fire alarms went off."I told my mommy get out, get out, there's a fire alarm," says Coombes. "My doggy stopped, dropped and rolled too."Ten people, including three children, are getting help from the Red Cross. They're also praising the girl for putting lessons she learned at school into use. A Bridgeport firefighter, who was injured in the blaze, is recovering.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."