Fire causes evacuation of Stratford hotel guests

Guests at a Stratford Ramada Inn had an unpleasant wake-up call in the form of a fire Tuesday morning.

Officials say the fire began in a second-floor room of the Lordship Avenue hotel. The hotel?s alarm alerted occupants, who immediately evacuated the building. Hotel employees say they had some trouble getting several disabled guests from the third floor out of the building. However, everyone made it out safely.

According to fire officials, the fire began in the heating and air conditioning wall unit. It was contained to just one room on the second floor, but the smoke reached all the way up to the sixth floor. The hotel has opened a scuttle on the roof to ventilate the building. Guests were allowed back in Tuesday afternoon.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."