CDC warns parents about dangers of 'choking game'
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning parents Friday about the dangers of the so-called ?choking game.?
For the first time, CDC officials have an idea of how many young lives the deadly practice has claimed. They are also telling parents what they should look out for.
The CDC found that 82 kids died from the choking game in the US. between 1995 and 2007. Experts say in the game, kids use items such as belts, scarves or ropes to cut off the blood supply to the brain. They then loosen those items to get a temporary high. The CDC says kids in 31 states, as young as 6 years old, have died playing the choking game.
The Stamford parents of 12-year-old Evan O?Connor believe he died two years ago playing the choking game. Police in Stamford say warnings from the CDC and elsewhere can be crucial reminders for parents.
The CDC says signs parents can look for include bloodshot eyes, marks on children?s necks, frequent headaches and disorientation after being alone. They also urge parents to keep an eye out for items used to play the game.
Related Information:"Chokinggame" may be to blame in Stamford boy's death