Bridgeport Diocese to pay $21M to settle sexual abuse claims

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport has reached a multi-million dollar settlement involving claims of sexual abuse against 16 priests. The diocese will pay out $21 million to 40 people who say priests abused them when they were children. Bishop William Lori said 40 percent of the money is covered by insurance and the other 60 percent by selling properties belonging to the diocese.Bishop Lori says the settlement is the result of the meeting that began in January between the diocese and the attorney's for the victims. Bishop Lori said only one of the 16 priests involved in the alleged abuse that took place in the 1960s and 1970s is still functioning as a priest. The new settlement is the second in two years for the diocese. The diocese reached a financial settlement in 2001 involving five priests and 26 plaintiffs.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."