Fire damages Margaret Egan Community Center

The Margaret Egan Community Center in Milford went up in flames on Saturday night. Nobody was injured, but officials are scrambling trying to relocate the many services the center provides.

Milford firefighters were still hard at work after the sun came up on Sunday sifting through the aftermath of the three alarm blaze that ripped through the center. Firefighters say they aggressively attacked the fire and were able to contain it to a small area. They say there's still extensive roof and water damage.

During the school year, there are at least 100 people inside the center on any given weekday participating in a variety of programs. Now these programs need to find temporary homes while the center is rebuilt.

Mayor Jim Richetelli says he and city officials are working hard to try and relocate the services while the fire marshal continues his investigation into what sparked the blaze.

For more information on where services may be moved to, you can call the Milford Recreational Department at 203-783-3283 or 203-783-3280.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."