Officials: 20 displaced after fire in apartment on West Main Street in Stamford

Approximately 20 people are displaced after a fire tore through their home in Stamford, according to officials.



The fire sparked just after 12:30 a.m. Saturday at an apartment building on West Main Street.



News 12 is told one firefighter received minor injuries, but no one else was hurt.



George Bright, of Stamford, says his son and daughter alerted him to a fire in their bedroom on the second floor of the complex. He says an extension cord in his son's room sparked the initial flames.



Families spent the day attempting to salvage any belongings they could from the building's charred remains.



The five displaced families told News 12 that they will be staying at hotels or have made plans with family members until further notice.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."