Stamford Fire Department offering free smoke detectors following fire on Leeds Street

Stamford firefighters went door to door offering free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors after a fire displaced two families on Tuesday.



The fire started at 46 Leeds St. at around 6 a.m. None of the eight residents were injured, but smoke and water damage have forced Rafael Marquiz and his family to find other homes.



The fire chief says there was only one smoke detector in the building, and it did little good because the fire started in the attic.



He says that if there would have been more smoke detectors throughout the home, the families might still be living there.



The money for the detectors comes from a foundation set up after the 2011 Christmas fire that killed three sisters and their grandparents.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."