Autopsy: SHU student choked to death during eating contest

The Medical Examiner's report officially lists the cause of death for Caitlin Nelson as accidental asphyxia.



The 20-year-old Sacred Heart University student died after her airway became blocked during a pancake-eating contest.



News 12 is told that Nelson was taken to the hospital on March 30 and died three days later on April 2.



A family friend says Nelson donated her organs.



Nelson will be laid to rest this weekend.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."