Sacred Heart University student dies after choking during pancake-eating contest

The Sacred Heart Community is mourning the loss of a student who died after choking during a pancake-eating contest.



According to officials, the incident happened Thursday night during a Greek Life event on campus. Police say Caitlin Nelson, 20, had eaten four or five pancakes when she began to shake uncontrollably and fell to the floor.



They say nursing students performed CPR because her airway was obstructed.



Nelson was taken to St. Vincent's Medical Center, where she later died.



The university's school flag is now flying at half-staff in Nelson's memory.



Officials are trying to determine an official cause of death.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."