Norwalk officials offer safety tips for Tuesday snowstorm

Norwalk's emergency management director offered safety tips ahead of Tuesday's storm.



Michele DeLuca said to make sure areas around space heaters are clear to avoid potentials hazards.



Generators should be kept outside to avoid carbon monoxide issues. DeLuca advised testing carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis to ensure they are working properly.



She said a common mistake people make is using a stove or oven as a main heating source if power goes out.



Chimneys also must be cleared of snow and ice to allow for proper ventilation and avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, according to The Chimney Safety Institute of America.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."