Southport kicks off summer with parades on land, seaPosted: Updated:
Southport kicked off the summer season Saturday with two parades – one by land and one by sea.
Revelers lined the streets in the village around 11 a.m. where the pipe bands and officials marched toward Southport's Lower Wharf.
Once there, local clergy members participated in the Blessing of the Fleet, a tradition that began 23 years ago. Dozens of boats passed under water cannons and received a blessing for a safe and prosperous sailing season.
The summer kickoff festivities began as a way to promote the village and recognize its sailing history.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- State lawmakers announced a new plan to raise the sales tax to help bring new jobs to inner cities like Bridgeport Thursday.
- Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray is the first pick in the NFL draft, going to Arizona and immediately creating a quarterback quandary.
- A former animal rescue president accused in the deaths of five dogs was back in court Thursday and could possibly face more legal trouble.
- Bankwell hosted its annual pet adoption event in WiltonBankwell hosted its annual pet adoption event in Wilton
- All dressed up for Easter? Or do you have a great Easter bunny photo you want to share? News 12 wants to see them all.
- The New York International Auto Show is being held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
A guide to the national park sites and trails on Long Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York City and the Hudson Valley.
As the weather warms up, it's time to get your golf bag out and tee off once again! All across the state, Connecticut offers a wide variety of public courses to practice your game at. Check out the list below for the links in your area.