News

School officials: Cleaning product prompted hazmat scare

Posted: Updated:
STAMFORD -

A chemical odor delayed the start of classes for students at Davenport Ridge Elementary School in Stamford Wednesday for about an hour, officials say.

According to officials, around 6 a.m., a custodian entered a janitorial closet, smelled the fumes and became dizzy.

When parents began arriving later to drop their kids off for school, police turned them away. Students on arriving buses were sent to an adjacent church parking lot and not allowed to get off, according to the superintendent's office.

The Stamford Fire Department's hazmat crew investigated, and officials later blamed the odor on a carpet cleaning powder that got wet in the closet. The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection ventilated the building and gave the all-clear, allowing students to enter.

The custodian was taken to the hospital, but is expected to be OK.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."