News

Consumer Safety Commission demonstrate dangers of Christmas traditions

Posted: Updated:
NORWALK -

The Consumer Safety Commission held a demonstration to show the dangers of some Christmas traditions.

Dry trees, for example, can catch fire if left near candles or faulty electrical wiring.

According to experts, it's important to check bulbs and circuits before putting up the tree.

"We're all enthusiastic when we put our tree up, but once the holidays are over we forget to water them, they get very dry, and that becomes a very big danger in terms of catching on fire,” says Ann Marie Buerkle, Acting CPSC Chairman. “Also in terms of trees, you're setting it up, keeping it away from any heat source.”

Experts also warn against serious injury or death from decorating lights and trees, including falls and back strains. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."