Neighbors credit man's quick actions after fire sparked in condo

Posted: Updated:

Residents of a Norwalk condo complex are thankful for the quick efforts of one of their neighbors during a fire that broke out Sunday afternoon.

Fire officials say the flames sparked in a kitchen on the first floor of a six-unit condo complex on West Main and Summer streets.

Video shows smoke coming out of multiple windows of the building, as a woman and her child seek safety on the rear balcony.

Residents praised their neighbor, Hayden Callender, for his quick efforts to try and put out the flames. He says he grabbed a hallway fire extinguisher when he noticed smoke.

"I used it until it depleted, I knew there was a second one downstairs so I ran into the basement to get the second one. By the time I came back up there was just too much smoke so I figured best not to go back in," he says.

The owner of the unit tells News 12 she was only gone for 25 minutes to go to the pharmacy.

No injuries were reported.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Behind the Scenes of Disney On Ice

    Behind the Scenes of Disney On Ice

    Behind the Scenes: Disney on IceBehind the Scenes: Disney on Ice

    Take a sneak peak behind the scenes of Disney on Ice! The show made a stop at the Nassau Coliseum.

    Take a sneak peak behind the scenes of Disney on Ice! The show made a stop at the Nassau Coliseum.

  • Your November Snow Photos

    Your November Snow Photos

    Thursday, November 15 2018 6:40 PM EST2018-11-15 23:40:49 GMT
    Send us your snow photos!Send us your snow photos!

    Viewer photos of the Nov. 15, 2018 snowfall. 

    Viewer photos of the Nov. 15, 2018 snowfall. 

  • The 'worst toys' for the holidays, according to safety group

    The 'worst toys' for the holidays, according to safety group

    Tuesday, November 13 2018 6:35 PM EST2018-11-13 23:35:07 GMT

    A Black Panther “slash claw” and a plastic Power Rangers sword are among the items topping a consumer safety group’s annual list of worst toys for the holiday season.

    A Black Panther “slash claw” and a plastic Power Rangers sword are among the items topping a consumer safety group’s annual list of worst toys for the holiday season.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."