Sanofi: No proof that vaccine linked to Philippines deaths

Posted: Updated:

PARIS (AP) - Drugmaker Sanofi insists there's no evidence of a link between the world's first dengue vaccine and children's deaths in the Philippines.

Paris-based Sanofi said Wednesday it lost 19 million euros in the fourth quarter on the vaccine as it bought back unused medicines, but doesn't expect further related losses this year.

CEO Olivier Brandicourt called concerns about the vaccine "very worrisome" but said no problems were reported outside the Philippines. He said "we have absolutely no evidence that the vaccine has been linked to any deaths."

Sanofi said in November that the vaccine could put people at risk of severe disease if they hadn't previously been infected.

Philippines authorities say the deaths of three children may have "causal association" to the vaccine, and the government wants a refund from Sanofi.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."