Bridgeport girls head to court over bullying allegations

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

Two girls who say they have been bullied for the last year took their case to Bridgeport Superior Court Thursday.

The Bassick High School teens and their alleged bullies showed up at court with their parents.

The accusers say they have been bullied at school and the abuse is now carrying over at home. They say they had to finally take the case to court because no one at school would do anything to help.

Judge Barbara Bellis brokered an agreement under which the two girls and their four alleged tormentors have to stay away from each other. The agreement is voluntary and will be in effect for one year.

Attorney Dennis Bradley, who is the chair of the board of education, says he realizes bullying is a huge problem.

"My heart goes out to the family, and I want to ensure the public that we on the board of ed are trying our very best to make sure that kids have a safe environment," he says.

The superintendent of schools and Bassick High School principal have not commented on the case.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>

  • 24th annual Critics' Choice Awards

    24th annual Critics' Choice Awards

    "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
    "Roma" was the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron.
  • Your Photos: National Dress Up Your Pet Day

    Your Photos: National Dress Up Your Pet Day

    Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
    Got a snapshot of Sparky in a suit or Fido in a fedora? We want to see!
  • VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    Tuesday, January 15 2019 11:47 AM EST2019-01-15 16:47:07 GMT

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."