Bridgeport family receives help after News 12 appearance

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

A Bridgeport family who lost their home in a fire is thanking a community member for giving them a fresh start.

Three years ago a fire destroyed the Bembury’s family house. Since then the 29-year-old James Bembury, his wife and four children have been living in multiple apartments, unable to find a permanent living situation.

News 12 shared the Bembury’s family's story last week and Ginna Kelly of Stamford came forward to present the couple with a check for $3,500.

Kelly has also contacted Doran Moving and Storage of Stamford, which agreed to move the family at no charge. 

Bembury, whose family receives no government assistance, never asked for a penny. He says he told his story merely to get the word out about a petition he had started to alert Mayor Joe Ganim about the lack of affordable housing in this city, a situation he calls a crisis.

More On This Story
Bridgeport family calling on city to fix affordable housing situation


Bembury says he is deeply humbled, and grateful, that a News 12 Connecticut viewer would care enough about him and his family to give them a new life and a fresh start.

Bembury also thanked Jim Whitfield, Junior of Norwalk, who also saw last week's story and came forward to help his family get a fresh start.    

  • Connecticut SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>

  • Lunar Eclipse & Blood Moon on Jan. 20-21

    Lunar Eclipse & Blood Moon on Jan. 20-21

    On Jan. 20-21, there was a lunar eclipse and a full moon, which many are calling a Blood Moon.
    On Jan. 20-21, there was a lunar eclipse and a full moon, which many are calling a Blood Moon.
  • Your January 2019 Storm Photos

    Your January 2019 Storm Photos

    Sunday, January 20 2019 12:14 PM EST2019-01-20 17:14:51 GMT
    We want to see what the storm brought to your area. Send us your photos and you could see them on air or on News12.com.
    We want to see what the storm brought to your area. Send us your photos and you could see them on air or on News12.com.
  • VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    VIEW: Old Tappan Zee Bridge gets demolished with explosives

    Tuesday, January 15 2019 11:47 AM EST2019-01-15 16:47:07 GMT

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

    The remains of the old eastbound Tappan Zee Bridge were demolished with explosive charges Tuesday, Jan. 15.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."