Needs Clearing House founder honored for years of servicePosted: Updated:
The founder of the Greenwich-based nonprofit the Needs Clearing House was honored during a farewell tribute in Bridgeport Saturday.
The ceremony at the Margaret E. Morton Government Center was filled with people who know first-hand about Joe Kaliko's success.
It was News 12 Connecticut who first brought Kaliko to Bridgeport in 2013 when he helped find housing for an autistic man who had become homeless. Many successes followed.
When a grandmother was mugged and then couldn't pay her bills that month, Kaliko quickly raised $1,000 to get her back on track.
When two seniors desperately needed a wheelchair ramp for their home, Kaliko enlisted the help of Andrew LaSala's nonprofit Building Hope Foundation.
When Army Veteran Russel Billingslea became homeless, Kaliko worked hard to help him get an apartment.
Kaliko, always humble, does not like taking credit himself.
"I'm really thankful to all the people who've supported the Needs Clearing House, who've made it possible to accomplish the things that we've done," he said.
Kaliko is retiring, but supporters say his legacy of love will never be forgotten.
Bridgeport Police Chief AJ Perez, Mayor Joe Ganim and Sen. Richard Blumenthal were all in attendance at the ceremony.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The family and friends of missing New Canaan mother Jennifer Dulos are firing back against her estranged husband's attorney after he said she may have staged her own disappearance.
- Ciclista muere atropellada en Manhattan. Mañana es día de primarias en NYC, seguimos la contienda por la fiscalia de Queens.
- Rep. Jim Himes (D-4th District) called Monday for the House of Representatives to open an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, joining others in his party.
- It has been nine years since a tornado hit the Barnum Museum in Bridgeport, but there is still plenty of work to be done.
- The small computer - about the size of a credit card - now supports dual 4K displays along with a host of other improvements.
- The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.The BET Awards were held Sunday, June 23 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- The bug-eyed, dreadlocked pooch took top honors Friday night at the 31st annual World's Ugliest Dog Contest.
- Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!Are you or a loved one headed to the prom this year? We want to see your photos!
- Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.Dead & Company performed to a packed crowd at Citi Field on June 23.
- The 29th annual Long Beach Pride Parade kicked off Sunday at noon!The 29th annual Long Beach Pride Parade kicked off Sunday at noon!