Police: Contractor accidentally set Wilton roof on fire

Posted: Updated:
WILTON -

Authorities have a clearer picture as to why a Wilton building went up in flames.

It happened Tuesday at a commercial building on Danbury Road.

Officials say a contractor was preparing to do roofing work and apparently made a mistake gassing up a hot piece of equipment.

"He was filling up a gasoline-fed blower, to blow the stuff off the roof to get it ready and he filled a hot machine," says Wilton Fire Chief Ronald Kanterman. "We always tell people, don't fill your lawn mower when it's hot, when it's running, this is a classic case of that." 

No one was injured.

The roof has some damage, but the building's interior wasn't affected.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."