Human case of West Nile found in Fairfield CountyPosted: Updated:
One of the first of two human cases of West Nile virus this year in Connecticut has been found in Fairfield County.
Officials say a Fairfield resident who's in their 70s was among those who contracted the virus. The person was hospitalized and is now recovering.
Experts say about three-quarters of the people who contract West Nile virus don't develop symptoms, but seniors and people with weaker immune systems can become seriously ill.
Officials remind residents to use bug repellent and wear pants and long sleeves when outdoors, among other precautions.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A 45-year-old truck driver from Harwinton was killed by a car that lost control after he delivered construction equipment intended to make the road safer in Orange, police say.
Superstar UFC fighter Conor McGregor has announced on social media that he is retiring from mixed martial arts.
- Gov. Ned Lamont says he wants more minority teachers in Connecticut classrooms.Gov. Ned Lamont says he wants more minority teachers in Connecticut classrooms.
- Attorneys for "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett say charges alleging he lied to police about attack have been dropped.
- The Redding Police Department reunited a lost peacock officers found in town with its rightful owner.
- Even as floodwaters receded in hard-hit places in in the Midwest, experts warned that with plenty of snow still left to melt in northern states, the relief may only be temporary.
- It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!It's National Puppy Day! Send us your photos!
- Show your Pinstripe Pride!Show your Pinstripe Pride!
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.The Yankees showed off their dining menu ahead of the new baseball season.