Downed power lines spark fire at Stamford school

Posted: Updated:
STAMFORD -

Power has been restored at Northeast Elementary School in Stamford after a tree took down power lines during the rain storm this morning and sparked a fire.

According to police, it happened in the school parking lot as parents were dropping off their kids.

Police had the school's driveway blocked off on Scofieldtown Road while fire crews put out the flames.

The school has a generator, so only part of the building was in the dark before Eversource restored power.

School is dismissing at its regularly scheduled time.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."