Bridgeport teacher named Connecticut's 2019 Teacher of the YearPosted: Updated:
A teacher from Warren Harding High School got quite the surprise Tuesday when she learned she was named Connecticut's 2019 Teacher of the Year.
Sheena Graham is best known as Mama Graham by her students. She's been a teacher for more than 30 years and primarily teaches music. It's the first time in more than 20 years that a teacher from Bridgeport received the award.
Gov. Dannell Malloy made the trip out to Bridgeport to congratulate Graham this morning in the high school's brand-new media center. The event included performances by her music students, speeches from local officials and a touching speech from Graham herself, who says she was in total shock to learn about her recognition.
"I thought that it was amazing to have taught so long," says Graham. "This is my 36th year and for someone to think that I was still relevant and that I still had something to offer was just the most amazing feeling in the world."
Graham says she enjoys teaching music because it helped her overcome her speech impediment as a child. She says it also helped her feel more comfortable around others.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
Gov. Lamont: Scholastic will provide 180,000 learning materials to aid school districts in distance learningSchools in Connecticut will reopen on May 20, and Scholastic will provide 180,000 learning materials to school districts to further aid distance learning, state officials say.
- Carnegie Hall’s new online series aims to connect artists with audiences everywhere.Carnegie Hall’s new online series aims to connect artists with audiences everywhere.
- Some of Broadway’s biggest stars will be taking part in a virtual Passover seder April 11.Some of Broadway’s biggest stars will be taking part in a virtual Passover seder April 11.
- Colleges and universities around the tristate are starting to look at virtual alternatives to reach out to potential students who are in social isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- During the dark days of the coronavirus pandemic, Mother Nature is one of the few bright spots.During the dark days of the coronavirus pandemic, Mother Nature is one of the few bright spots.
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!