Amazon Fulfillment Center hectic on Cyber MondayPosted: Updated:
The Amazon Fulfillment Center in Robbinsville saw a very busy day with millions shopping on Amazon for Cyber Monday.
#njmorningshow #CyberMonday has me inside the high tech @amazon Fulfillment Center in #Robbinsville this morning. 961 items being moved per second today! Look for my live reports @News12NJ pic.twitter.com/5DDrriQIo2— Tony Caputo (@TonyCaputo) November 26, 2018
Last year, 83 million items were ordered worldwide through Amazon, many from its fulfillment center in Robbinsville.
The number comes to around 961 different items being moved each second.
In order to accomplish that feat, people, as well as robotics, must work hand in hand.
“This is an Amazon robotics fulfillment center, so that really bridges technology and humans,” says Spokeswoman Kate Scarpa. “Amazon robotics will help our associates pick packages to ship them down the conveyor belts and really makes things a lot easier for us.”
More than 3,000 full time employees, along with hundreds of seasonal workers, help the packages get to their final destination successfully.
The Amazon center in Robbinsville is about a million square feet, which is about the same as 28 football fields.
- Facebook is launching a standalone desktop app for its Messenger service.Facebook is launching a standalone desktop app for its Messenger service.
- Boeing says it will offer buyouts and early retirement to a number of airline employees in a bid to cut costs.Boeing says it will offer buyouts and early retirement to a number of airline employees in a bid to cut costs.
- Apple has acquired popular weather app Dark Sky.Apple has acquired popular weather app Dark Sky.
- All retail stores that still remain open during the coronavirus pandemic have been ordered to enforce new social distancing guidelines signed in an executive order by Gov. Ned Lamont.All retail stores that still remain open during the coronavirus pandemic have been ordered to enforce new social distancing guidelines signed in an executive order by Gov. Ned Lamont.
- Walmart is taking drastic steps to enforce social distancing in its stores.Walmart is taking drastic steps to enforce social distancing in its stores.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Gov. Lamont says peak hospitalizations in Fairfield County will come at the end of April, according to models.
- More people in Connecticut are grieving in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.More people in Connecticut are grieving in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
- While OEC Brewing's beers are still available for curbside pickup, the taproom closed and was changed into a makeshift pantry.
- The masks were acquired as a donation to Bridgeport by City Councilman Alfredo Castillo.The masks were acquired as a donation to Bridgeport by City Councilman Alfredo Castillo.
- The Department of Public Health says that 44 residents at Golden Hill Rehab Pavilion on Bridgeport Avenue tested positive.
- The 1,000-bed hospital ship will help ease the burden on local hospitals amid the coronavirus outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- There are no rainbows without rain, right? Well, one might say it's been pouring lately. But a strong and growing group on Long Island is spreading color and positivity with a rainbow movement.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.