Bridgeport nonprofit helps victims of spinal cord injuries through peer mentorshipPosted: Updated:
A Bridgeport-based nonprofit is helping victims of spinal cord injuries through a peer mentorship program.
The nonprofit, More Than Walking, helps connect spinal injury patients with peer mentors through video calling and YouTube.
Through the organization's website and YouTube channel, peer mentors say they can help patients relearn basic but vital tasks and eventually help them become mentors.
Nakeitha Rose, a peer mentor, says she had a hard road back to independence after she was paralyzed 23 years ago. She says she's now using her experience to help others.
Jonathan Sigworth, More Than Walking's founder, says he lost the use of his legs and fingers when he was 19 years old and that he realized early on how important it was to connect with other people who had gone through similar experiences.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a pregnant Bridgeport woman suffered a miscarriage after being assaulted by another woman.
- A Bethel man is charged with stealing and sending illicit photographs of several woman, and with possession of child pornography.
- Bernie Sanders scored a resounding victory in Nevada’s presidential caucuses on Saturday, cementing his status as the Democrats' national front-runner.
- The incident took place at Park Avenue and Olive Street. Police say none of the injuries were life-threatening.
- An investigation has revealed multiple credible allegations of sexual and physical abuse by former faculty and staff spanning decades at a school for deaf children in Connecticut.
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!