Hart steps down as Oscars host after outcry over old tweets

Posted: Updated:

By JAKE COYLE
AP Film Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Just two days after being named host of the Academy Awards, Kevin Hart stepped down following an outcry over past homophobic tweets by the comedian.

Capping a swift and dramatic fallout, Hart wrote on Twitter just after midnight Friday that he was withdrawing as Oscars host because he didn't want to be a distraction. "I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past," wrote Hart.

Hart stepped aside just about an hour after refusing to apologize for tweets that resurfaced after he was announced as Oscars host on Tuesday. In a video on Instagram, Hart said the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences gave him an ultimatum: apologize or "we're going to have to move on and find another host."

"I chose to pass on the apology," Hart said. "The reason why I passed is because I've addressed this several times."

The film academy didn't respond to messages Thursday evening.

Hart has since deleted some of the anti-gay tweets, mostly dated from 2009-2011. But they had already been screen-captured and been shared online. In 2011, he wrote in a since-deleted tweet: "Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice 'stop that's gay."

In an earlier post Thursday, Hart wrote on Instagram that critics should "stop being negative" about his earlier anti-gay remarks.

"I'm almost 40 years old. If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve? I don't know what to tell you," said Hart, who added, in all-caps: "I love everybody."

Hart's attitudes about homosexuality were also a well-known part of his stand-up act. In the 2010 special "Seriously Funny," he said "one of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay."

"Keep in mind, I'm not homophobic, I have nothing against gay people, do what you want to do, but me, being a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will," Hart said.

GLAAD, the advocacy group for LGBTQ rights, said Thursday that it reached out to Oscars broadcaster ABC, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences and Hart's management to "discuss Kevin's anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and record."

Comedian and actor Billy Eichner said "a simple, authentic apology showing any bit of understanding or remorse would have been so simple."

It's not the first time an Oscars host has been derailed by anti-gay remarks. Ahead of the 2012 Academy Awards, producer Brett Ratner, who had been paired with host Eddie Murphy, resigned days after using a gay slur at a film screening. Murphy soon after exited, as well.

That year, a tried-and-true Oscars veteran - Billy Crystal - jumped in to save the show, hosting for his eighth time. This time, speculation has already been rampant that few in Hollywood want the gig, for which few win glowing reviews.

The film academy moved up this year's ceremony to Feb. 24, giving producers little time to find a replacement.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

  • Sandy Hook Elementary School evacuated after bomb threat

    Sandy Hook Elementary School evacuated after bomb threat

    Friday, December 14 2018 12:08 PM EST2018-12-14 17:08:00 GMT

    Sandy Hook Elementary School students have been sent home for the day after a bomb threat forced an evacuation on the sixth anniversary of the mass shooting that killed 20 students and six educators.
      

    Sandy Hook Elementary School students have been sent home for the day after a bomb threat forced an evacuation on the sixth anniversary of the mass shooting that killed 20 students and six educators.
      

  • 6 years after Sandy Hook, officials changing response methods to tragedies

    6 years after Sandy Hook, officials changing response methods to tragedies

    Friday, December 14 2018 1:05 PM EST2018-12-14 18:05:46 GMT
    The Sandy Hook shooting claimed the lives of 20 children and six educators on Dec. 14, 2012.The Sandy Hook shooting claimed the lives of 20 children and six educators on Dec. 14, 2012.

    Friday marks six years since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, and officials across the nation are working to change response methods when it comes to tragedies.

    Friday marks six years since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, and officials across the nation are working to change response methods when it comes to tragedies.

  • Forecast: Rainy Friday with a warmer feel

    Forecast: Rainy Friday with a warmer feel

    Weather UpdateWeather Update

    Here's the latest News 12 weather update.

    Here's the latest News 12 weather update.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>

  • France shooting aftermath

    France shooting aftermath

    Wednesday, December 12 2018 12:07 PM EST2018-12-12 17:07:12 GMT
    Photos of the aftermath of a shooting that killed least three people in Strasbourg, France.
    Photos of the aftermath of a shooting that killed least three people in Strasbourg, France.
  • Gift Guides: Gifts for everyone on your list

    Gift Guides: Gifts for everyone on your list

    Wednesday, December 5 2018 7:37 AM EST2018-12-05 12:37:03 GMT
    From Jack-Jack, of the "Incredibles," to the newest Fingerlings toy, we have a list of the hottest toys for the kids in your list!From Jack-Jack, of the "Incredibles," to the newest Fingerlings toy, we have a list of the hottest toys for the kids in your list!

    We have a list of the best gifts for everyone on your list!

    We have a list of the best gifts for everyone on your list!

  • Your Connecticut 2018 Holiday Photos

    Your Connecticut 2018 Holiday Photos

    Your Connecticut 2017 Holiday PhotosYour Connecticut 2017 Holiday Photos

    Check out all of the photos this holiday season! Send us yours on Instagram or Twitter using #CTHolidays.

    Check out all of the photos this holiday season! Send us yours on Instagram or Twitter using #CTHolidays.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."