Bridgeport man injured in explosion while inflating air mattress

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

A senior citizen was injured in an explosion while inflating an air mattress with a can of ‘fix-a-flat,’ police say.

Juan Roberto was transported to St. Vincent’s Medical Center where he was treated for a collapsed lung.

The victim's condition has been upgraded from critical to serious.

The incident happened Wednesday at 168 Beechwood Ave. between Norman Street and Wood Avenue around 6:30 p.m.   

Police say an explosion ripped a giant hole in the side of the house sending a picture window sailing across the driveway and shards of glass flying through the air.

They say Roberto was using the aerosol product to inflate an air mattress when fumes came in contact with a burning candle in the room, triggering the explosion.

Neighbors tell News 12 it sounded like a bomb went off when the explosion took place.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."