Flood WARNING in effect for:
Police: Contractor stole from Stamford churchPosted: Updated:
Police say a contractor stole money from a church in Stamford after they gave him money to replace their roof.
Historic St. John's Episcopal Church told News 12 in August that a Plainville contractor took their $7,500 deposit and then never replaced the church's roof. Police have now arrested Marcus McClellan, 45, and have held him on $100,000 bond.
Last year, McClellan quoted the church $30,000 for the roof. They used his company Trumbull Architectural Restoration 20 years ago. They also got quotes from other companies.
Church officials say McClellan used excuses to avoid offering his services, ranging from getting a divorce to being in the ICU.
Police say McClellan also did the same thing at churches in Milford and Massachusetts. He is due in court next month.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.
- Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?
- A Bridgeport woman is about to get a wheelchair accessible van for her disabled daughter thanks to some help from News 12 Connecticut and a local nonprofit.
- The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.
- The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.