Flood WARNING in effect for:
Bridgeport religious leaders condemn stop-and-frisk proposalPosted: Updated:
Bridgeport religious leaders held a press conference Saturday to condemn the idea of using stop-and-frisk as a way to combat violent crime after a 12-year-old boy was fatally shot.
Local pastors gathered at Summerfield United Methodist Church to voice their opposition to the proposal.
Pastors Herron Gaston and Charlie Stallworth say they condemn the idea floated by City Councilman Ernie Newton in response to the fatal shooting of Clinton Howell this week.
Howell was fatally shot earlier this week, only a few feet from greeting his mother at his home.
Stop-and-frisk involves the detaining, questioning and searching of civilians for weapons and other contraband.
Newton tells News 12 that he now withdraws the statement and says there are better alternatives he will soon be announcing.
Gaston says the focus now needs to be practical solutions, starting with a citizen's review committee he plans to form.
"What is truly needed in this community is a strong investment in educational initiatives, after-school programs, mentoring programs, more funding put into mental health services, working within our school systems to bring in more counselors to help our students and to create opportunity and access for jobs," he says.
Newton says he's willing to work with the pastors to find a solution for the violence.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.
- Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?
- A Bridgeport woman is about to get a wheelchair accessible van for her disabled daughter thanks to some help from News 12 Connecticut and a local nonprofit.
- The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.
- The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.