Police: 3 dead, 4 injured in CA bowling alley shootingPosted: Updated:
TORRANCE, Calif. (AP) - Three men were fatally shot late Friday night and four injured when a brawl at a popular Los Angeles-area bowling alley and karaoke bar erupted into gunfire that had terrified patrons, some children, running for their lives.
Police in the coastal city of Torrance responded shortly after midnight to calls of shots fired at the Gable House Bowl, which offers bowling, laser tag and an arcade. They found seven people with gunshot wounds.
Three men were pronounced dead at the scene and two were taken to a hospital, Sgt. Ronald Harris said. Two other men were struck by gunfire but "opted to seek their own medical attention."
Authorities have not identified suspects or released details about what led to the shooting, but witnesses said it stemmed from a fight between two large groups.
Wes Hamad, a 29-year-old Torrance resident, was at the bowling alley with his 13-year-old niece and cousin when he saw a "huge fight" break out. Hamad said the brawl, which lasted about five minutes, blocked the entrance and devolved into "complete chaos."
"I grabbed my niece and started running toward the far end of the bowling alley," he said. "As we were running, we heard 15 shots."
As he was leaving, Hamad said he saw a woman weeping over a man who was had gunshot wounds to his head and neck.
Witness Dana Scott, whose bowling league was meeting Friday night, told CNN: "A lot of people ran back into the bar area - behind the seats and onto the floor, under the benches. People were crying."
Dwayne Edwards, 60, of Los Angeles, said he received a call from his nephew that his 28-year-old son was one of those killed. His nephew told him his son was attempting to break up a fight when a gunman "just started unloading."
"I'm thinking this is a dream and I'll wake up," Edwards told the Orange County Register. "He was a good kid. I don't understand it."
Damone Thomas was in the karaoke section of the bowling alley, a regular stop for him and his friends after work on Fridays, when people ran in saying there was a shooting. The 30-year-old Los Angeles resident said his friend flipped a table to shield them as they heard gunshots.
Thomas said he didn't feel scared because he was "just trying to survive." But when he was driving home he said he realized how traumatic the situation was and said he wasn't been able to fall asleep.
"Closing my eyes, all I can see is the women against the wall crying, not knowing what to do," he said.
Thomas and Hamad said they had never witnessed any violence there in the past, but Hamad said he had stopped going for a while because he heard someone with a gun was recently seen there.
"I definitely won't be going back anymore," he added.
In a tweet, California U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris said her heart breaks for the victims.
"We must do more to address gun violence," she said. "Americans should be able to go to a bowling alley and be safe."
Rosenbaum reported from New York City.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
1/5/2019 11:51:39 AM (GMT -5:00)
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Gunfire erupted at a Connecticut nightclub early Sunday morning, killing a man and wounding four other people, police said.Gunfire erupted at a Connecticut nightclub early Sunday morning, killing a man and wounding four other people, police said.
- Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim has announced that he is creating a special task force to fight gun violence.Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim has announced that he is creating a special task force to fight gun violence.
- Whether you have almond butter, almond milk, chocolate with almonds or plain almonds - today is a day to celebrate the nut!Whether you have almond butter, almond milk, chocolate with almonds or plain almonds - today is a day to celebrate the nut!
- A Danbury family is looking for answers after an ATV struck and killed their dog.A Danbury family is looking for answers after an ATV struck and killed their dog.
- A 5-year-old Bridgeport boy is fighting for his life after a fire tore through his home.A 5-year-old Bridgeport boy is fighting for his life after a fire tore through his home.
- Celebrate the one you love this Valentine's Day! Share your photos with us.Celebrate the one you love this Valentine's Day! Share your photos with us.
- Photos from the 144th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, which runs Feb. 9-11 in New York.Photos from the 144th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, which runs Feb. 9-11 in New York.
- Cheap Trick performs at NYCB Theatre At WestburyCheap Trick performs at NYCB Theatre At Westbury
- Photos from the 92nd Academy Awards at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 9, 2020.Photos from the 92nd Academy Awards at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 9, 2020.
- Check out the performers during the three-day Mountain Jam 2020.Check out the performers during the three-day Mountain Jam 2020.