Retrial begins for man convicted of killing teen in 2006Posted: Updated:
A retrial began Wednesday for a Bridgeport man serving 80 years in prison for the killing of a teenager.
Police say 19-year-old Rogerlina Jones was fatally shot on Jefferson Street on May 4, 2006. They also say two other women were wounded in the shooting.
Durante Best, who was sentenced to 80 years in prison for the slaying, was granted a new trial after an appeals court ruled the jury that convicted him should have been told they could have considered self-defense as an avenue of defense.
The victim's sister says seeing autopsy photos of her sister for the first time brought back the pain of losing her.
The judge says the trial is expected to last for about a week.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An Uber driver is accused of sexually assaulting a minor in Fairfield.An Uber driver is accused of sexually assaulting a minor in Fairfield.
- The attorney for a former animal rescue president accused of starving to death five dogs in her Fairfield home has disclosed he's pursuing a new defense in the case.
- Gov. Ned Lamont signed a bill Monday morning to accelerate the deployment of 5G technology throughout the state.
- Siguen las protestas en nuestra área en rechazo a las deportaciones masivas anunciadas por el presidente Trump.
- A relay protection system that should have isolated a faulty distribution cable but didn't led to the loss of power that darkened Manhattan for several hours, Con Ed said Monday in a preliminary review.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Palace Theatre in Stamford.
- Here's the latest concert information for the XFINITY Theatre in Hartford.Here's the latest concert information for the XFINITY Theatre in Hartford.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
- Are you heading to the USA women's soccer team's World Cup victory parade in New York City today? We want to see your photos!
- Jennifer Dulos, of New Canaan, has been missing since May 24. Her estranged husband, Fotis Dulos and his girlfriend Michelle Troconis, have been arrested and charged with tampering with or fabricating evidence and hindering prosecution.