Westport Fire Department offers generator safety tips

Posted: Updated:
WESTPORT -

The Westport Fire Department urges residents to use caution when operating a portable generator during a long-term power outage.

Residents with generators are reminded to operate generators outdoors only, in an area with plenty of ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide.

Fire officials warn individuals to use a heavy-duty extension cord to connect appliances to the outlets on the generator. The generator should never be plugged directly into the wall of a home.

Because generators pose significant electrical risks, residents should always ensure that their hands are dry before touching it.

Children and pets should be kept away from portable generators.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."