Officials: 1 injured, dozens displaced by propane tank explosion

Posted: Updated:
BRIDGEPORT -

Bridgeport firefighters say one person was injured and seven families were displaced after a propane tank exploded in a multifamily home Sunday.

News 12 Connecticut was told that the explosion happened on White Street around 10 a.m.

The explosion left a hole on the side of the house.

Taneka Walker, who lives on the second floor, says the experience was horrifying.

Authorities say the explosion caused a small fire, but they were able to quickly put it out. They say the size of the hole shows what a powerful explosion even a small propane tank can cause.

Investigators say a man that lived on the first floor received second degree burns and is being treated at Bridgeport Hospital's burn unit.

Firefighters say there were few people at the house during the explosion.

They say the Red Cross is working with the families to provide temporary shelter.

Firefighters say the propane tank was being improperly used to power a portable heater.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."