Flood WARNING in effect for:
Fate of feral cats in Bridgeport up in the airPosted: Updated:
The new management team at a Bridgeport nursing home is refusing to cooperate with an effort to relocate a colony of feral cats.
Bridgeport Police Chief AJ Perez announced Wednesday that the department will fully support the effort by local animal lovers to protect the cats in question.
Perez says for many years a colony of felines has peacefully coexisted with patients and staff at Bridgeport Healthcare Center on Bond Street. The animals have been periodically trapped, neutered and released to control the population.
However, when new management took over the facility amid bankruptcy proceedings, they told patients and staff they are forbidden to feed the animals. They are also trying to stop outside animal lovers from coming onto the property to relocate the cats.
"Disappointed. I mean this is a one could say an animal cruelty issue. The extreme cold or the dead of winter," says Tom White, of Bridgeport. "These animals did have little shelters, in fact they were going to be replaced with new ones, and this administration feels that we should not go on their property. We should not provide shelters, we should not provide food and they just want the cats gone."
Police say they will do everything in their power to encourage nursing home officials to work with them and outside animal groups to relocate the cats.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.Heavy rain Saturday caused flooding to the north end of Bridgeport.
- Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?
- The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.The Museum for History and Culture in Westport was celebrating the holidays early on Saturday.
- The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.The Merritt Parkway was shut down for several hours Saturday following a truck accident.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.
- The Mohegan Sun Arena performer lineup includes live music, entertainment, top headlining concerts and premier sporting events in Connecticut.