Former Stamford Democratic chief faces voter fraud chargesPosted: Updated:
The former chairman of the Stamford Democratic Party turned himself in Wednesday on voter fraud charges stemming from the 2015 city election.
John Mallozzi faces 14 counts of false statements on an absentee ballot and 14 counts of second-degree forgery.
Mallozzi turned himself in Wednesday morning at the Stamford Police Department. News 12 Connecticut was there as he walked in with his attorney, Stephan Seeger.
The state filed a warrant for his arrest today after complaints from the state Elections Enforcement Commission about absentee ballots cast in the 2015 city election.
Mayor David Martin released a statement saying he hopes the charges aren't true, but "hopes these charges will lead to renewed faith in our society's belief in democracy and justice."
Seeger says his client is cooperating with the state’s attorney.
"Mr. Mallozzi…has been actively involved in politics for three decades so it's his natural inclination to cooperate with whatever the state's attorney wanted us to cooperate on,” he says.
Mallozzi posted a $50,000 bond and was released. He's due to be arraigned on Feb. 11.
State's Attorney Richard Colangelo was not available for comment.
- Prosecutors say the arrest warrant against Ricky Garcia, of Milford, includes witnesses who say they saw the 57-year-old beat Christopher Peckham to death.
- A man is accused of a knifepoint robbery at a gas station in Torrington.A man is accused of a knifepoint robbery at a gas station in Torrington.
- Police are searching for the gunman who shot two people in Bridgeport.Police are searching for the gunman who shot two people in Bridgeport.
- Police in Connecticut say they have arrested 50 people and seized drugs and guns during an investigation that was spurred by heroin-related deaths.
- A Florida man has been charged for allegedly attempting to bring a loaded handgun onto a plane at Bradley International Airport.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Gov. Ned Lamont said they will wait for a special session to vote later this summer.Gov. Ned Lamont said they will wait for a special session to vote later this summer.
- Connecticut lawmakers are expected to vote on a 'Paid Family Medical Leave' bill on Wednesday.Connecticut lawmakers are expected to vote on a 'Paid Family Medical Leave' bill on Wednesday.
- El testigo clave de la fiscalía en el caso de 'Junior' Guzmán-Feliz testificará una tercera vez esta semana.
- Today is National Buy a Musical Instrument Day! Worldwide, the most played instrument is the piano, followed by the guitar and the drums. Do you own a musical instrument?
- General Mills has launched a new cereal inspired by Drumstick ice cream.General Mills has launched a new cereal inspired by Drumstick ice cream.