Police: Woman fatally shot after ex-husband forced his way into Fairfield home

Posted: Updated:
A woman was fatally shot by her ex-husband who forced his way inside a Fairfield home, police say.
Catherine Taylor, 70, died Sunday after police say she was fatally shot in the head by her ex-husband.
James Taylor, 75, was charged with murder, attempted murder, home invasion, burglary in the first degree, assault in the third degree, and illegal discharge of a firearm. 

The incident happened Sunday at 54 Catamount Road around 9:20 p.m.

Police say they responded to the home for a 911 call about a domestic disturbance.

Upon arrival, police say they discovered the woman dead inside of the home and determined a serious domestic assault had taken place.

Officials say the woman was pronounced dead at the scene, and James Taylor was quickly taken into custody.

Police say James Taylor broke into the home armed with a gun and fatally shot his ex-wife. They say the woman's son heard the sound of glass breaking and his mother's calls for help and rushed into the room, but it was too late.

Authorities say the victim's son then tackled Taylor, hit him several times in self-defense and was able to take the gun from him.

Police say the couple had been divorced for 25 years, but continued to live together until last spring. They then reconciled a few months ago and she returned to the home until last week when she once again moved out. They say the couple got into an argument, so Catherine was staying with her son on Catamount Road. 

There were no restraining or protective orders in place between the two, but police say Catherine Taylor called them Friday after James took her car without permission.

In an interview following his arrest, Taylor told detectives he didn't remember what happened, saying "I can't understand how I got here," and "I can't make sense of anything." Police have not said what specifically led to the violence.

Taylor has a previous criminal record and was last convicted in 2014 for disorderly conduct after getting into a fight with a nursery worker. He has previous convictions for larceny in 1974, breach of peace in 1967, and attempted breaking and entering in 1961.

Taylor was arraigned in Bridgeport Superior Court Monday and his bond was set at $2 million. He appeared wearing hospital scrubs and had a bloody and bruised face.

He was ordered to have no contact with his stepson. 



sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."